Saturday, May 18, 2013

365 miles

Greetings from the trail....  Every turn is another exciting view or flower or critter scurrying out of the way. Three days ago I took my afternoon ciesta at Deep Creek Hot Springs and the name does not lie.  These were absolutely incredible and exactly what the doctor ordered after 3 days of 25 miles in a row.  My feet seem to be holding up nicely but of course toting a backpack for a marathon distance is always a challenge when the hot springs are begging us to stay just a little while longer.  We have had some incredible climbs, just yesterday we climbed from 3,000 feet up to 8,000 and above the clouds, which is always a treat. 
Not everyone is having such a great time of course.  I have already heard of 2 friends I had just met weeks ago head for home.  At this point, stress injuries are the biggest factor.  A heavy pack and hot days are a prefect recipe for blisters and strained muscles.  The constant pain of blisters can quickly break down moral despite the best efforts from friends to just take time off for them to heal and come back.  The trail is a daunting task if one tries to think about the entire thing at one time and it is certainly overwhelming to have to make that decision.  I certainly wish Bug and Jersey all the best in their journey.  That's one big lesson of the trail: it's not about getting to the end that matters, it's about getting out there and experiencing the space in the middle that keeps us going.


Currently I am in the little mountain town of Wrightwood, CA and we will be following the trail northward again.  Our lovely cool mountains will soon dwindle and the hot, flat desert will be between us and the High Sierras.  But for now we are very much enjoying the cool weather and friendly locals each day has brought us.

Happy Trails
~beads


7 comments:

  1. HI LAURA - DAVID AND I MET YOU AT THE DOGGIE WALK AND I HAVE HAD A HARD TIME FIGURING OUT HOW TO FIND YOUR BLOG - SO HAVE LOTS OF CATCHING UP TO DO AND WILL WRITE MORE LATER - BLESSINGS ON THE TRAIL DOLORES SMITH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura I am helping Dolores write to you.


    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI AGAIN TO LAURA AND THANK YOU. PAT, FOR HELPING ME LEARN HOW TO DO THIS - I HAVE OTHERS WHO WILL BE SO INTERESTED IN THIS -- I WILL LEARN ENOUGH TO HELP THEM IN TIME - I REALLY ENJOYED YOUR BLOG MESSAGES - WHAT AN ADVENTURE - DOLORES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving it! Your hike keeps getting more gorgeous every time you post. Stay safe and enjoy the trip. We will certainly need to have a nice chai latte when your hike is concluded. Love ya, Beads.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're healthy and holding up! The kid and I were just talking about the trials this journey will put you and your fellow hikers through. I wish you all happy and safe trails! Love following your blog and living vicaroiusly through your adventures!! Keep sharing! Tatt and the crew are well and lovin life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your staying healthy and fit. Your pictures are gorgeous and I wish I was with you on your adventure. I can't wait to hear your extended version of your hike. I will have the raspberry vodka on ice and a cozy couch to pamper you as you share your tales of adventure and excitement with the family. We all miss you, but look forward to your posts. Stay healthy, and don't forget to check your boots in the morning....Love you Chica!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there Beads, thinking about you sleeping under the stars tonight, and hope you get a beautiful view to lull you to sleep. You should have a great view of the Supermoon tonight and tomorrow night. Look for the planets in the horizon and enjoy the view. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete