Sunday, August 11, 2013

WASHINGTON!!!!!!

Greetings from Cascade Locks, OR and the Bridge of the Gods.

From Sisters I hiked through a lot of recent burn areas from last year north of Santiam Pass, around Three Fingered Jack, and up to Jefferson Peak and Jefferson Park.  Just north of Jefferson is a fabulous little mountain resort on Olallie Lake (which is currently for sale..... someone needs to buy it and turn it into a HIKER HAVEN).  True to her name, "Trapper Keeper" kept our feet up for most of the day enjoying the company, beverages, and of course the view.  There was even another Trail Angel, Sandy, who also arrived with carbonated high fructose corn syrup (soda) and a 20# bag of snacks that we dove into head first.  I laugh every time because these are all things that I would never eat in the "real world".  But out on the trail, concentrated forms of sugar and fat are staples of our diet, something that the american diet specializes in.

Mt Hood and the Timberline Lodge were a fabulous high point of the last section.  The Timberline Lodge is a stunning historic landmark that many people spend lots of money to visit and stay for a night or more.  We set up our tents in a nearby cluster of trees and sit on the deck enjoying the sun and a few drinks just like everyone else.  Some tourists even start asking us about the trail and offer to buy us drinks as well.  Life is good indeed.

My last night before Cascade Locks I was walking along a ridge.  At about 5pm I had a view of Mt Hood behind me and it was covered in dark black clouds and the weather front was coming northward.  I hurry my pace as the thunder starts to rumble and I make it to Indian Springs just in time to set up my tent before the rain started, perfect timing.  The 15 miles into town the next morning was a beautiful stroll down Eagle Creek Trail, a favorite detour that includes Tunnel Falls where the trail literally goes behind a 200 foot waterfall.  It is a stunning sight and of course the pictures hardly do it justice.

This morning I sat at the local greasy spoon drive-in devouring a huge breakfast burrito and gazed across the river to Washington State.  It is a little overwhelming to realize that I only have 500 miles left, this journey has been absolutely incredible and I certainly don't want it to be over.   In about 3 weeks I will be at the Canadian border wondering where to walk next because there will be no more north.

Peace, Love, and Happy Trails
~beads

Three Fingered Jack

At 7000 feet above Jefferson Park

Sign at Timberline Lodge - a stormy morning

Tunnel Falls, yes that's the trail cut into cliff

The Bridge of the Gods - BAM!!

2 comments:

  1. Washington!! Ya baby!!! Home sweet home.....me and Tatt doing a "Happy Dance"!!! Be smart and safe, get yourself home in one healthy happy piece!!!

    Hugs from all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya!!! Glad to see your smiling face on the blog again. So much closer to home!! You be careful and take full advantage of any rest and recuperation you're offered. Can't wait to see you!! The family is making plans for the haunted house again...and yes, you will be holding my hand through the really scary parts...lol. I know you'll want to see your babies and they can't wait to see you. Sounds like you'll have to take Miss Noodle if Tatt has any say in it. Glad you're doing great. Miss you lots and BE CAREFUL! Love you,

    ReplyDelete